I found this recipe that I liked the sound of for bourbon chicken from Jonna of Just Get off Your Butt and Bake, made without bourbon. But I will be honest, I have absolutely no idea what bourbon chicken should taste like. So I have renamed this sticky chicken, because this recipe will give you a lovely sticky sweet sauce that is divine. It has Asian hints to the sauce with the soy sauce and chilli flakes. It reminds me a bit of a honey soy chicken sauce but the ingredients like the apple juice and apple cider vinegar also gives it some European tones.
The key with making this recipe is making sure you use a small skillet. The sauce gets thick very quick and will evaporate at lighting speed if you use too big a pan. Even the one I used was perhaps on the too large size.
The original recipe says it takes 15 minutes of preparation to make this and 30 minutes to cook. Normally I have to add time to the preparation time given. I am super slow at my prep. But in this case I was quicker than the time given. It helps that I used pre-minced garlic and of course I have less chicken to chop as I am only cooking for one. I made a few timing changes to the cook time, skipped the juice draining and the order suggested by the original recipe given the reduced amount to cook and the order that worked for me.
The recipe suggests serving this over rice but I think it would be equally good with some lovely boiled or mashed potatoes. Basically anything that will suck up the delicious sauce.
I only made a serve for one as past experience has taught me that these sweet sauces with a fair amount of sugar in them do not reheat well. The sauce tends to get a bit of burnt flavour from the sugar. You could probably reheat if you did it slowly over a low heat but for me the whole purpose of leftovers is a quick meal that I can zap in the microwave to save time on cooking.
- 130g of boneless, skinless chicken breast chopped into bite sized pieces
- 1 tsp of olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of minced garlic (equal to half a clove)
- 1 tbs of apple juice
- 4 tsps of brown sugar
- 1/2 tbs of tomato sauce (ketchup)
- 1 tsp of apple cider vinegar
- 2 tbs of water
- 20 ml of soy sauce
- A pinch of dried chilli flakes
- 1/2 tsp of cornflour (cornstarch)
- coriander to garnish (optional)
- Mix all of the sauce ingredients in a bowl and set to one side.
- Heat the oil in a small skillet (that has a lid) on medium-high heat.
- Add the chicken and cook until the chicken starts to go a nice golden colour on all sides, about 5 minutes.
- Once the chicken is going a lovely golden colour add the sauce mixture to the pan and stir, making sure the chicken is well coated.
- Turn the heat to low and partially cover the skillet with a lid. The lid should be slightly askew to allow some steam to escape. Cook on low for about 10 minutes until the chicken is cooked through.
- Garnish with coriander and serve.