This one pot sazon lemon chicken and rice is the second one pot chicken dish I am sharing this week. On Wednesday I shared this cheesy chili chicken with broccoli and rice. The cooking method for both recipes is very similar – basically brown the chicken then add the rice and getting everything cooking with some chicken stock. I wanted to show you how you can create quite different tasting dishes using similiar cooking methods. You can easily take these two recipes and mix them up with your own choice of spices and other flavours and make your own creation.
The recipe is based on this one pot lemon herb chicken and rice from Tiffany of Le Creme de la Crumb. I tried a scaled down version of Tiffany’s recipe but I didn’t like the Italian herb mix I used. The mix had an odd flavour to it – maybe too much oregano? I think it would be a great dinner if you could get the right herb mix. But I have so many spices already it seemed wasteful to go out and buy more. I switched the Italian herbs with a homemade sazon seasoning I make using this recipe from Skinnytaste.
This chicken dish is such an easy low calorie dinner to make. I love the combination of the lemon and sazon and the way all the flavours ooze into the chicken and rice. And of course it is one pot! You know how I love a one pot meal in my dishwasher free kitchen.
- 130g of chicken breast, whole or two large pieces
- 1/2 tbs of butter or olive oil
- 1/2 - 1 tsp of sazon seasoning
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/4 cup of basmati rice
- 1 cup of chicken stock
- 1/2 tbs of lemon juice (about half a lemon)
- 1 tsp of sazon seasoning
- 1/2 tsp of coriander (cilantro) to garnish
- Season the chicken with the sazon seasoning and salt and pepper. Use enough sazon seasoning to coat the chicken fairly evenly.
- Heat the butter or oil in a skillet or shallow pot with a lid on medium heat
- Brown the chicken pieces - only a couple of minutes. You aren't cooking the chicken but getting a nice bit of caramelization going.
- Remove the chicken to a plate.
- Add the rice to the pan and toss with the butter/oil and chicken juices in the pan.
- Add the chicken stock, lemon juice and the second lot of sazon seasoning and combine well.
- Put the chicken back into the skillet/pot, cover and turn down the heat to medium-low for about 15 minutes until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Top with coriander (cilantro) and lemon slices if you are taking photos and serve.