Ah smashed potatoes where have you been all my life! Why have I not known about you! I love roast potatoes but can’t always get that nice crispy crunch on the outside but soft on the inside. But I have made these lemony herbed smashed potatoes a few times now without any hiccups.
I first saw the smashed potatoes on a cooking show recently. Maybe Ian Hewitson when the other morning tv shows were annoying me too much to hang around for the news. I then saw a recipe on a food blog – maybe Damn Delicious? It looked so easy.
The first batch I made just using olive oil with my trusty Italian herbs. But a couple of weeks ago I got a tweet from the local Essential Ingredient telling me they had a sample pack for me. Excitement! They are one of the best places to get less common ingredients. Essential Ingredient is where I first found chipotle in adobo.
One of the items in my lovely sample pack was this lemon agrumato (extra virgin olive oil with crushed lemon). It took my smashed potatoes for a whole new level. The oil element makes sure everything crunches up nicely and the lemon adds a lovely citrusy note to the potatoes. If you can’t get lemon agrumato I am sure that lemon juice would also work well. And the potatoes were delicious with ordinary extra virgin olive oil.
These are not super quick potatoes but if you are already planning to bake something in the oven, it is well worth popping these potatoes in a pot to boil and then adding them to the baking tray. I give some oven temperatures below but if you are making something that requires a slightly hotter or cooler oven, they should be fine. Just keep an eye on them.
Preparation time is only a couple of minutes and cooking time is 45 to 50 minutes. A potato is about 160 calories. The recipe below is for one potato but I made extra as I love fried potato for breakfast and these were perfect fried up the next day.
- 1 potato - I used desiree so the potato kept a bit of its shape when smushed.
- A splash of lemon agrumato (or extra virgin olive oil)
- 1/4 tsp of Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 200C (390F)
- Put the potato in a pot of water and bring to the boil.
- Boil the potato until it cooked, about 20-25 minutes. If a skewer goes in easily, your potato is good to go.
- Pop the potato on a baking tray and smush down with your potato masher. Try not to break the potato into as many pieces as I did.
- Add a splash of lemon agrumato and sprinkle the potato with the Italian herbs and season to taste.
- Put in the oven for 15-20 minutes until the outside of the potato starts to crisp up.
Note the lemon agrumato was a gift from Essential Ingredient Canberra. Any opinions are my own.