So this is one of my favourite recipes to cook. It is quick and tasty – ideal for when you get home tired from work. The original version of the recipe I have modified is available here:
I use the following amounts of each ingredient:
- 1 and 1/2 tbs of fish sauce
- 1/2 tbs of minced garlic (I usually cheat and buy the stuff already minced in the jar though I do have a garlic press on my christmas list)
- 125g of chicken mince. I actually like breast meat and always use this. But then I never have liked chicken thigh.
- 10-20 leaves of basil. I use 10 if they are large leaves and 20 if they are small. But this is not something to get stressed over. I haven’t managed to find the holy basil and just use normal basil. Still tasty if not quite right.
- 3 tbs of chilli paste. I use the garden gourmet brand and use a mix of hot and mild depending on my mood and how up for some spice I am. I find that at least 1 tbs of mild is right for me. This is probably higher in calories than 3 fresh red chilli but it does speed up the preparation and the cleaning. At least it does with my knife skills.
- 1 tbs of cooking oil. You could reduce the calories by using less of this if you are using a non stick pan. And normally I would do this. But for this dish I like the oiliness of this dish, which is unusual for me.
I then cook the recipe as per the instructions given in the original recipe.
I serve this with basmati rice. I use 1/3rd of a cup of rice which I cook by boiling. In this combination, MyFitnessPal does indicate this is above 500 calories but not by too much and I plan ahead and have one of my lunches which is lower in calories.