Do you have favourite recipes that somehow slip out of your rotation and then suddenly pops back into your mind, prompted by a smell, a taste or a memory? I had that happen recently with a peanut chicken dish I used to make all the time – a very long time ago. And since then I have been trying to find the recipe I used to make.
I have a favourite Thai recipe book called Easy Thai Recipes (very original!) by Unicorn books that I have tried to find on the internet to share with you but it seems to be out of print. Anyway a cover of the photo is below in case you are shopping in a second hand bookshop and happened to come across it I strongly recommend you pounce on it if you love Thai flavours. I could have sworn the recipe I was thinking of was their recipe for creamy peanut chicken. But it wasn’t so I am still hunting. I have moved house and countries a couple of times since I last made it so finding the recipe could be a challenge.
But in the meantime I am sharing this creamy peanut chicken with you because while it may not be that recipe, it is still damn fabulous. I have made a few changes and reduced it so you can make it for one. The name of the recipe gives it all away in that it is creamy and peanutty. I add lime juice to make sure it isn’t overwhelmingly rich. You could possibly make this with low fat coconut milk but I don’t think it would be half as good – the non low fat coconut milk is so much thicker and creamier and sticks so well to the chicken. And don’t even ask about low salt peanut butter as that stuff is never on my shopping list!
Not only does this recipe taste magnificent but it is very fast to make. I can have this on the table in under 20 minutes. One of the reasons why I love Asian food and the stir-fry magic.
I hope you enjoy the creamy peanut chicken while I continue my recipe hunt.
- 1 tsp of vegetable oil
- 1 tsp of red curry paste
- 130g of chicken breast, skinless and boneless, cut into bite sized pieces
- 1/4 of a cup of coconut milk
- 1 tsp of fish sauce
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- 1 tbs of smooth peanut butter
- 1/2 tbs of roasted peanuts chopped in half
- 1 tsp of coriander (for garnish)
- 1/3-1/2 red chili, sliced (for garnish)
- A few squeezes of lime juice
- Heat the oil in a small skillet or wok on a medium heat.
- Add the curry paste and fry for about 1 minute
- Add the chicken and cook for 3-4 minutes until it starts to go a lovely golden brown
- Add the coconut milk, fish sauce, brown sugar, peanut butter and peanuts and stir well.
- Cook for about 5 minutes until the sauce has thickened and the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with coriander, chili and lime juice.