So another stuffed mushroom recipe. I like stuffed mushrooms in terms of weight loss and being low calorie as the mushrooms replace the carb and protein bits I would add to other meals. So this recipe comes in at under 300 calories which is great for a light dinner or lunch. If I do this for dinner it means I can squeeze in a nice dessert to my calorie allowance.
This recipe was pretty good, though not as good as the creamy stuffed mushrooms I tried out a week or so ago. They lacked a bit of oomph in the flavour department. But it is a very easy recipe to make and it took me about 5 minutes to prepare and then the 12 minutes to cook. The most time consuming bit was getting my oven to heat up. It is a bit on the slow side and makes me covet a new oven.
The ingredients I used were:
- 120 g portobello mushrooms with the stalks removed. This equated to two portobello mushrooms.
- 25 grams shredded mozzarella cheese. I couldn’t find low fat at the supermarket but this still came in pretty low in calories.
- 20 grams ham cubed. I bought a packet of pre cubed ham as the slices of ham in the supermarket were very thin – good for sandwiches but not so much for mushroom stuffing.
- 1 fresh button mushrooms, diced. The recipe says to remove the stalks but I am not sure why. I just chopped them up. But then I used button mushrooms. Maybe on shiitake mushroom the stem might be a bit chewy.
- 1 tsp minced garlic. Mine came from a jar.
- salt and black pepper
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
I cut back the oil more than the other ingredients to get the calories down and didn’t feel I had short changed myself. I then followed the instructions using a conventional oven. Mine didn’t come out as crispy as the original recipe picture. I think if I do these again I would use bacon rather than ham and fry the bacon and garlic together before adding to the mushrooms. I would also mix the topping of cheese, ham, garlic and mushrooms together before putting on the mushrooms. Maybe that is what you were supposed to do – I found it tricky to get the garlic on evenly.
The mozzarella cheese was the pain in terms of having leftovers. I bought pre shredded but wonder if I could have gone to a deli and bought a small piece so as not to have wastage. I don’t use mozzarella that much so am sure some of this will get thrown out which I hate.
All in all an ok but not fabulous dish.
Lovely chocolate for dessert for such a low calorie dinner!