Mercury went retrograde last month and I normally don’t believe in horoscopes unless they promise me I will earn millions of dollars, meet my soul mate and achieve world peace. Then I am all on board… But I am strongly considering taking Mercury retrograde in to account after the communication problems I had last month. My email went down for much longer than I would have liked, I had hotel bookings cancelled and had foot in mouth disease at work.
It was not a good month for me to try and communicate with anyone. I feel I should have gone and hidden in a cave for the period. But I have come out the other side, the email is back up (thank goodness!), the holiday was fixed and I am working on my foot in mouth disease.
Did you have a good October or did you have problems with Mercury going retrograde?
I did find this recipe for baked Italian chicken which I have adapted and increased the cheese factor by including some lovely ricotta. The ricotta not only adds to the cheese factor but also helps keep the chicken tender while it bakes. I have a confession, the ricotta was not my idea. When I was searching for a new baked chicken recipe the description for this one said it had ricotta but when I opened the page, no ricotta. I went ahead and popped some in and I also added some dried chilli flakes the second time around. I prefer the recipe with the kick from the chilli flakes but it is still tasty without them.
The recipe below is for two. The leftovers reheated well in the microwave, saving you a night of cooking if you are cooking for yourself. I was pleasantly surprised at how tender the chicken stayed. I sometimes find chicken breasts dry out in the oven. I suspect all the liquid in the other ingredients helped. You can’t go wrong with the basil and tomato combo either.
It is pretty quick to cook this recipe – about 10 minutes of preparation and 25-30 minutes of cooking time.
An easy baked chicken dish that is beautifully cheesy.
- 2 Roma tomatoes, chopped in to bite sized pieces
- 1 tsp of minced garlic (equivalent to one clove)
- 1/2 cup of artichoke hearts, drained and cut in to bite sized pieces
- 1 and 1/2 tbs of virgin olive oil
- 1/2 tsp of sugar
- 1 tbs of plain flour
- 1/4 tsp of dried chilli flakes (optional)
- 2 tbs ricotta cheese
- 300g of skinless, boneless chicken breast
- 2 tbs of mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tbs of basil, shredded
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Heat the oven to 180 degrees celcius (about 350 degrees fahrenheit)
- Mix all the ingredients except the chicken, basil and mozarella cheese in a bowl until well combined and season to taste.
- Put the chicken breast in a baking dish and cover with the tomato and artichoke mixture.
- Pop in to the oven for about 20 minutes until the chicken is just about cooked through. Make sure you err on the side of caution as you don't want undercooked chicken.
- Sprinkle the mozzarella over the chicken and then pop under the grill (broiler) for a few minutes to melt the cheese and until everything starts to go a nice golden colour.
- Garnish with basil.