It has been a while since I last did a muffin recipe – nearly 4 months in fact. I have been playing around with savoury muffins since making this parmesan and rosemary muffin which I just loved. I like having a few muffins in the freezer as a breakfast alternative to my usual instant oats, which got me thinking about bacon and how bacon makes everything taste better.
Adding bacon to the muffin was actually fairly easy, what I couldn’t get right was the cheese I also wanted to include. I tried a couple of cheeses but the flavour seemed to get lost. For now I have reverted back to the parmesan in the parmesan and rosemary muffin as the sharpness of the parmesan works well. I have been trying soft cheeses and wonder if that is the problem. Any thoughts from the baking minded?
But the bacon wasn’t quite enough to make the muffins amazing so I have added some chilli and I really like what it has done to the flavour of the muffin. As well as adding its usual spice kick which I love, the sweetness of the chilli is a lovely counterpoint to the saltiness of the bacon. I love how chilli can do that and still be low calorie.
I made a small batch of these but the recipe should scale up well if you want to use more. I have tested freezing and then unfreezing in the microwave (cause I am not going to remember to defrost the night before) and the muffins hold up well. They kept their shape and didn’t go soggy. They taste great with or without butter so make a great breakfast on the go – no mess no fuss.
And if these muffins don’t quite hit the spot then you might want to have a look at this fabulous muffin round up that the lovely Jas from All That’s Jas put together. So many muffins to try!
- Cooking spray - mine is olive oil
- 1/2 a cup of parmesan cheese, grated (set aside 2 tbs for topping)
- 100g (3/4 cup) of plain flour (all purpose)
- 1 large egg
- 90ml of milk (1/3 cup + 1 tbs)
- 60ml olive oil
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp of baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon of minced garlic (equal to 1/2 a clove)
- 1/4 cup of bacon
- 1 tsp of minced chilli
- 1/3 tsp of salt
- 1/4 tsp of black pepper
- Preheat oven to 175 C (350 F)
- Spray a muffin tray with the cooking spray - I use a silicone 6 cup muffin tray.
- Mix the flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, the parmesan (less the 2tbs set aside), garlic, bacon, chilli, salt and pepper in a large mixing bowl.
- In another bowl mix the milk, eggs and oil.
- Add the egg, milk and oil mixture to the flour mixture and stir until just combined.
- Spoon the mixture in to the muffin tray, dividing as evenly as possible.
- Sprinkle the 2 tbs of parmesan cheese on top.
- Pop into the oven for about 20 minutes. To check they are cooked insert a toothpick into the middle of one and if comes back clean the muffins are cooked.
- Cool in the pan for 5 minutes.