I have been so lucky to have this week off work, but I know not everyone has that luxury and the weeks before Christmas can be super hectic, trying to get the presents you need, attending parties and school concerts, getting the house ready for guests and ordering in the food you need to create a great Christmas.
I have been working on some new recipes but I am still perfecting them so I thought I would dig out ten of my favourite quick low(ish) calorie recipes. When you are running around like a headless chicken (or chook) as we would say in Australia, getting a dinner on the table in lickety split time can make a huge difference to gaining some extra minutes for other jobs. But that doesn’t mean you need to sacrifice taste nor resort to high calorie takeaway. These recipes take under 30 minutes to make, are for the most part under 500 calories and are jam packed with flavor. For one of the recipes it might take you slightly longer than half an your depending on the speed with which your oven heats up. But you can turn the oven on and get it hot while doing other things.
My favourite recipes and their calories are:
1. Sazon chicken – get a bit of Latin American flavour in to your Christmas (290 calories)
2. Baked Orange Roughy – easy to bake fish – just needs a hot oven (364 calories)
3. Skillet Ham and Cheese Gnocchi – Cheesy goodness all cooked in one pan (453 calories)
4. Vietnamese meatballs – great dense Asian flavours
5. Drunken Noodles – one of my favourite memories from living in Laos. A bit higher than the other dishes but no sides required (580 calories)
6. Chilli jam chicken – sweet and spicy combine to make this amazing chicken. Cook on the stove top to speed up the process (310 calories)
7. Creamy Chicken Lazone – gorgeous Italian chicken just in case you don’t have enough cream in your life (470 calories)
8. Harissa Eggs in Purgatory – because eggs are not just for breakfast (430 calories)
9. Scallops with Sherry and Saffron Couscous – subtle flavours make the couscous the hero of this dish (485 calories)
10. Gai Pad Gapow (Thai Minced Chicken) – or you could mince leftover Turkey to make this dish – (315 calories)